- Nandi Hillathon is an annual citywide fundraising event held at the foot of Nandi Hills in Bengaluru.
- The first edition of Nandi Hillathon was held on July, 2016 comprised of three races – Nandi Endurance run(21 kms), Nandi Walkathon(6 kms) and Nandi Ota -a run for the people living near Nandi Hills.
- About 650 people participated in this unique event and extended their support towards the cause.
Nandi Hill is located about 65 kms from Bengaluru. It is a symbol of pride for the people of ‘Garden City’ and is one of the greatest icons which remind us of the past glory of Bengaluru. As the city is marching ahead aggressively to become one of the fastest growing metropolis, there is a pressing need to remind people on the importance of saving Bengaluru’s rich cultural and natural heritage. Nandi Hillathon was conceptualized to enable communities to raise funds to protect, preserve and promote Bengaluru’s Treasures.
HOW IS IT DIFFERENT FROM OTHER RUNS:
- Every rupee that is raised by the neighbourhood is invested back in the community. No money is retained by the organizers.
- This is an annual city wide fundraising event which will be anchored by United Way to encourage RWAs and citizens to raises resources for their neighbourhood without any efforts of their own – money and time. Only registration and participation in Nandi Hillathon is solicited.
- Other runs undertaken in the city are for specific causes, no citywide fundraising event has ever been organized to improve neighbourhoods.
WHY NANDI HILLATHON?
The city of Bengaluru has a vibrant civil society community consisting of resident’s welfare neigborhoods (RWAs), runners and cycling group, volunteering group, federation of RWAs, student’s neigborhoods, senior citizens’ groups, artists neigborhood, lakes groups, expats groups, women groups, ward improvement groups and not for profit organizations. One of the significant challenge that the civil society organizations are facing is to mobilize resources to improve the overall quality of life.
AIM OF THE EVENT:
- Restore pristine glory of Nandi Hillathon
- Enhancement of bio-diversity through tree plantation drive
- Restoration of water bodies in and around Bengaluru with emphasis on River Arkavati that originates from here
- Making Nandi Hills plastic free
- Help retain its ecological hotspot status
SUPPORT YOUR COMMUNITY CAUSE
- Rejuvenation of lakes and parks.
- Protection of Historical monuments.
- Improving Public spaces – pavements, amphitheatres, etc.
- Improving the Environment; roads, traffics, solid waste management, planting trees.
- Improving community education, health, livelihood.